Saturday, March 8, 2008

Wikipedia, Wookieepedia, and Wikiality

Well, as I have posted on the main Learning 2.0 blog (week 5), I have learned a lot about wikis this morning. I have used Wikipedia countless times, of course, with that reservation that library and information professionals have, but the benefits of wikis didn't really jump at me. However, today I can understand that a wiki could be a great way for libraries to progress without the need for library staff to learn how to design websites, learn XHTML, or have a centralised person through which everything had to go to be posted online. Even the staff at my library who are not so 'hot' with computers could easily manage to contribute to a wiki. I still have concerns or thoughts about content control, which will always surface with something that is so changeable (and easily changeable at that). I didn't realise spam was such a problem, but it seems that there is software that can help, plus the wiki community members can 'jump' on spam and deal with it. It's not left up to the one person to edit, manage, etc.

I have used Intranets for many years in the business world and, although I thought they were a great idea in principle, and I also liked using IM or 'chat' programs, they did leave a lot to be desired. I suppose the Intranets are still there in the technological sense - it was the content and the management of that content that annoyed me. Intranets were left to grow weeds - the information on them was way out-of-date, often incorrect, and I got the distinct impression that there was no-one 'tending the garden' (to borrow the idea from Intellipedia and it's spade award). The intranet at my current workplace (a council one) is one of the worst I have encountered. It's almost completely useless. So I can see that a wiki for my library would be fantastic!

I really enjoyed the Information Today article and its discussion of academics being luddites with regard to Wikipedia. They really need to take the opportunities that are there with regard to the new technology. I also found the concept of 'wikiality' interesting. Let's face it: most of history that has been recorded is probably exactly the same. If enough people believe it, it becomes 'truth', so perhaps the concept is not that new.

Loved the term 'Wookieepedia'. I am constantly amused by the variations on names which the internet brings, such as the variations on successful brands like Google.

2 comments:

pls@slnsw said...

Thanks for highlighting the Info Today article - it will be interesting to see how academia responds. I shall have to see if I can work "wikiality" into a conversation soon!
Kathleen A

Bambino Velostra said...

Hi Kathleen! Yes, every new word sounds a bit weird until it comes into common usage. I remembered when 'microwaveable' was a new term! The internet has some weird ones and it seems like every day I learn a new one. Today (at the HSC Education Forum) it was 'serp' which apparently is 'search engine results page'. Odd indeed!