Wednesday, March 19, 2008

LibraryThing - a booklover's dream!

I just LOVE new technology but I can see that some of it is so new, that improvements need to be made. However, it's early days and I will make the most of it all! I first came across LibraryThing in November 2006 and could see the benefits to myself straightaway. I didn't really have time to set up an account or check it out that much at the time but I bookmarked it for future use as I could see its potential. Well, today I checked it out once again and I can now see how I could use it, not so much for myself, but as a tool at the reference desk. I found the LibraryThing website REALLY slow but maybe that's because it's still in Beta, or maybe they were working on it. It did speed up later which alleviated my frustration (and this is from someone who remembers dial-up and DOS-prompts!). I found it a little time-consuming working out how to add authors and book titles, and then tags to those, but I am sure with practice I would be quicker. This tool would be so wonderful to be able to access anywhere, at any library desk, on holiday, on my next mobile phone! Instead of racking my brains trying to think of, or remember, a particular author or title, it's all there for me! I admit to not reading as much as I did when younger (too many distractions and demands on my time now) but building a personal library would also be helpful. Sharing it with friends would be fun. If I could use LibraryThing and also search my library's catalogue, that would be so good on the reference desk. A library version with recommended books read by library staff would be invaluable and much easier to maintain than our current "Staff Picks" display shelves. Once I really get the hang of LibraryThing, I will take the suggestion and check out Shelfari or GuruLib but there's little point in getting myself confused just now!

No comments: