Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Using Google Docs now!

At my workplace, some of my team have got together to create the first issue of a library newsletter. As I work part-time, I had finished a draft of my piece for the newsletter, in time for our next meeting. I had the draft on my home computer and I was thinking of saving it to my USB stick to take into work (I don't have a work email address or computer) when it suddenly hit me! Use Google Docs! I tried to upload my document but it would not accept .docx files (Word 2007), so I saved it as a .txt file and voila! I now have an editable (is that a word?) draft of my document online, accessible anywhere and I don't have to worry about remembering to bring my USB or a hardcopy of the document to work.

Today, I decided to do the same thing with some Procedures I have started writing for my work area. The only difference was that, to maintain the formatting, I saved another copy as a .doc file (ie, Word 97-2003) to upload. It worked perfectly and now others will be able to access the document and comment or alter it as needed, if I 'share' it with them. This is a real boon in a workplace like mine where many of us don't have our own work email addresses and we work part-time and varying days and hours.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Now that's Learning 2.0 in action!
Thanks for that story and great to hear you found an immediate use for the learning.
Kathleen A.