Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Social Networking and Libraries

I really loved what the Rotorua Public Library had done with their Bebo identity. It really is a reaching out to its immediate public but also anyone from around the globe. There seemed to be a lot of good feeling towards the library from its new friends and that must be rewarding to the staff. I can see that not only can the library and its supporters have two-way conversations and ideas, but the friends are also socially networked so they can cross-communicate too.

In a way, all these smaller libraries (such as Kiama Library who say they have ditched email altogether for internal communications for a library blog) have done so much and my library has not, it makes me feel kinda sad. I really do have hope that, after this program, my library gets into all these fantastic tools and starts to really reach out to its customer and friends base.

No comments: